If you’re not sure whether you’re in a de facto relationship, the legislation defines it like this:
A person is in a de facto relationship with another person if:-
- the persons are not legally married to each other; and
- the persons are not related by family;
- having regard to all the circumstances of their relationship, they have a relationship as a couple living together on a genuine domestic basis.
For the purposes of this Act:
- a de facto relationship can exist between 2 persons of different sexes and between 2 persons of the same gender; and
- a de facto relationship can exist even if one of the persons is legally married to someone else or in another de facto relationship.